Death Toll Reaches 26:Sindh CM announces Rs10m Compensation Gul Plaza affectees

By Our Correspondent

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah has announced a compensation of Rs10 million for each family of those killed in the deadly Gul Plaza fire in Karachi, as rescue, debris removal and investigation efforts continue at the multi-storey commercial building.
Speaking to the media, the chief minister said the compensation process would begin from tomorrow after the completion of necessary documentation. He confirmed that 26 bodies have so far been recovered from the site, while 22 injured persons sustained minor injuries and have returned home.
Murad Ali Shah said that 65 people were still unaccounted for, adding that around 80 individuals were affected by the incident. The fire erupted at around 10:15pm on Saturday. While the exact cause is yet to be determined, initial assessments indicate a possible electrical short circuit.
The blaze continued for more than 24 hours, with cooling operations still underway amid heavy smoke and partial structural collapse, which significantly hampered rescue efforts.
The chief minister said nearly 200 firefighters took part in the operation, including personnel from the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation and Rescue 1122, with support from the Pakistan Navy and the Civil Aviation Authority. Provincial Minister Saeed Ghani, Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab, Deputy Mayor Salman Murad and senior officials were also present at the site during rescue operations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Snow Leopard dies of starvation in Lutkho, fresh sightings reported in Garam Chashma

Mon Jan 19 , 2026
CHITRAL (Lower)-UNS:  A rare and endangered snow leopard has reportedly died of starvation in the Lutkho valley of Tehsil Garam Chashma, allegedly due to negligence on the part of the Wildlife Department and lack of timely awareness among the local population. According to local sources, the weakened snow leopard was […]